Timeline

1926: Barony Castle becomes a hotel

1942-45: hotel used by the Polish Higher Military School (revived after suspending activities in Warsaw in 1939)

1968: Jan Tomasik buys the hotel

1974: start of construction of map

1976: bulk of the work accomplished

1979: completion of the basin

1981: fire damages main block of hotel

1985: hotel closes (re-opens under new ownership in 1990)

1994: Polish visitors attend Edinburgh town planners conference, leading to map’s “re-discovery”

2010: Mapa Scotland formed

2012: Historic Scotland grants listed status; Scottish Parliament holds debate and reception

2013: Grant aid in place and preparations for restoration begin

2014: Perimeter fence constructed, information panels installed and basin wall refurbished
 

Pictures Over Time

 

South Lawn

South Lawn putting green at the Hotel Black Barony, Eddleston in Spring 1940

The hotel becomes the main Polish Army Staff College in 1942.

 

hotel

The same scene during the map’s construction (c.1976-7)

 

An isometric view of the map taken from the viewing platform, September 2009

Another 30 year gap: the scene in April 2010 (Photo: Adam Ward)

 

Octocopter wider aerial view, late 2013

View taken from an octocopter in late 2013 showing the map and hotel
with the ravine of the Dean Burn running between

 

View taken from an octocopter  in late 2013 Closer view taken from an octocopter in 2013
(photos courtesy of Polish Scottish Heritage).